Monday 13 June 2011

Layered Sounds 120611

Dark Motion was a great party, with one problem. The venue, after agreeing to allow the promoters, Primal Underground, to use the venue till 4am, on the night told them that they would have to close at 3.30, and later on rudely stormed into the DJ box and pulled down the music at 3am. This was both uncalled for and has become a pattern at CCHQ. Every promoter I know that has worked with the venue has had the same complaint, their party gets closed down early. The bar closed at 2, as per the license, but that doesn't mean the venue have to throw people out unceremoniously because they're no longer making money and are tired. It's bad form.

I was considering throwing a party there and when it happened, I was reminded why I never tried to use the venue before. It always has had the same pattern. It is one of the most beautiful venues to have a party in as it contains thousands of antiques, collected by the owner for many years during his time as an antique dealer. He died a while back and his family carry on the business. Pity they think it's ok to throw the crowd out into the cold without any warning. Bad manners to say the least. It's fine to close early, but then don't pretend that you won't. We don't like being lied to.


There were 2 great sets on the night. The first belonged to Deep Candy (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deep-Candy/306763771370). She absolutely rocked! A while ago I watched her play one of the best sunrise sets I've ever seen, and her set at Dark Motion was tops! She played dark, groovy Techno, she was loving it and so was the crowd. Well done Candy! The other great set belonged to Gavo (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102945265170), although he wasn't allowed to finish it. He played for an hour, and had the floor rocking. The EV sound system was purring nicely, and he took full advantage of it. He played some really great Techno and I was just getting fully into my groove when the dark haired woman stormed into the booth and pulled down the fader! Classy.

Jono's set (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=574830936) also had sections of greatness but I felt that he was holding back in some parts. He ended off with one of my favourite classics, Moan by Trentemoller, and the crowd loved it. There were also some great builds in his set and some great tracks, nicely done. I didn't get to see Isma's set as I arrived just after he finished playing, but heard it was good.



There was one set that disappointed me during the night and it was the only time I actually left the dancefloor, Just Smart. These guys chose great tracks which I really liked, but their mixing was way off and they kept messing with the tracks to add effects and cut the bottom end at the wrong time. this kept jarring me out of my groove and messing up the vibe on the floor, till I eventually walked off to chat to friends at the bar. These guys need way more experience before I'll be happy to dance to them again.



Overall a great effort from Primal Underground (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Primal-Underground/222385011109515)! The place rocked from beginning to end and I had a fabulous time. I saw tons of my friends too, which was great. Thanks to Sylvain, Steve, CheriƩ, Gavo, Afrodeutsch, Ursula, Neil, Bella, Lorna, the 2 Candy's, Jason and Jono for the great company.


I'll have some new tracks up on Soundcloud for you to hear this week, as well as my show on Dance Web Radio coming up on Thursday, 12-2pm (GMT+2) (http://www.dancewebradio.co.za). I'll be going to ESCAPE to PSYCHEDELICA ▫▪▪▷ a Fu▫Cha/Teknotribe winter colaboration ▫▫▫▪▪▷ on Wednesday evening at Groove Bar, so catch you on the dancefloor



http://twitter.com/djchrispalmer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Palmer/73011073272
http://www.reverbnation.com/chrispalmer

EPK

6 comments:

  1. Awesome review, nice work- Chris! Keep it up, people often don't realize that a lot of time & effort goes into write ups like this blog (with video nogal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work brotherman!!!

    Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for this Chris.

    The scene in Jozi needs people speaking their minds and letting promoters and DJ's know what they think could have been done better.

    I actually asked a few of the people who attended Dark Motion what they feel they would have done differently, purely because I've spent a lot of time as the oke just there to jol, and I know that I always have my own views, and do not mind sharing them with said promoters/DJ's.

    I do think its important to mention that this was JustSmarts first ever set, and they were thrown into the deep end. They definately do need more experience, but they have the passion and drive that it takes to do this properly, and they're in it for the right reasons. Music.

    We see too many good DJ's go bad because of what I like to call "The Hollywood Factor", and these boys are grounded enough to remember why they're here.

    I spoke to Andrew just now, and he is keen to have a chat to you, to get your opinions and advice with regard to what you feel they did right and/or wrong, which, I think, shows a lot of character!

    I think the way forward is for the veterans like yourself to almost coach new and up-and coming guys like JustSmart.

    The feedback really is awesome Chris! Muchos Gracias! :-)

    Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, I agree Jason, good criticism is in our favour as it helps people do better. I've spoken to Just Smart and they've taken it in their stride, which is great. I'll definitely be coaching them to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very succinct write-up Chris and kudos for putting your opinion out there. Reviews of any EDM events in SA are few and far between, and its something I've always felt is a major reason that so many places simply don't improve because they either don't know, or couldn't be bothered.

    CCHQ's arrogance & flat-out disrespect for the punters on the night was insulting & uncalled for as you said, and I hope this gives them pause for thought on the next night. An absolutely incredible venue, but it ruins the experience when the crowd is treated like squatters!

    The griping aside, great calls on the mixes. I was very unfortunate to have car trouble & only arrived much later in the night. I've heard DeepCandy on enough occassions to know I probably missed something special after arriving towards the end of her set, but still had a good time in great surrounds with even better peeps. Thanks again to Gavo for putting it together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shaunie! Pause for thought indeed, the venue is great, if they just managed it properly! I hope someone has pointed this out to them so they can see it from our perspective.

    ReplyDelete